The Muharraq Municipality dates back to 1929, after the establishment of the Manama and Muharraq Municipalities in the second cities of Bahrain after the capital, Manama. Succession to the presidency of each of :
1- Sheikh Abdullah bin Isa Al Khalifa.
2- Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa.
3- Sheikh Khalifa bin Mohammed Al Khalifa.
4- Sheikh Abdullah bin Khalid Al Khalifa.
It had its own fire brigade, which was later transferred to the Ministry of the Interior. It also had its own council. The Muharraq municipality used to supervise all the neighboring areas, including the municipality of Hidd. However, on 4/1/1963, the municipality of Hidd separated to take over the supervision itself.
The municipality undertakes the burdens of general hygiene and cooperates with the competent departments in implementing plans and projects such as establishing gardens and public parks, implementing building laws and regulations, and so on.
Muharraq is linked to the city of Manama with two bridges through which ships and boats pass through their marine tunnel. There is also Bahrain International Airport in Muharraq, as well as the historic Arad Fort and the Great Garden.
2- Al Hidd Municipality:
Al Hidd Municipality was established in 1945 by order of the late Sheikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa. Since its establishment, it has been under the supervision of Muharraq Municipality. Muharraq, as a desire to facilitate procedures and resolve matters and interests quickly.
As for the first president of the municipality of Hidd, he was the late Sheikh Rashid bin Salman Al Khalifa, and the first council was composed of six members, half of whom were elected by citizens and the other half were appointed by the government, and this was the first election of the municipality.
In 1959, he was assigned to head the municipality for the second time, the late Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, until May 1961, and on July 13, 1961, Sheikh Khalifa bin Mohammed bin Abdullah Al Khalifa was assigned to head the municipality for the third time until the municipalities were unified in 1973 to become a central municipal body. It is chaired by Sheikh Abdullah bin Khalid Al Khalifa, then the late Sheikh Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Khalifa.
As for the municipal directors who have successively supervised it since its establishment in 1945, they are: Messrs.
1- The late Ibrahim Ali Hassan Khalfan.
2- The late Musaed Abdullah Al-Zayani.
3- The late Muhammad Issa Al-Hadi.
Among the priorities of the municipality's tasks is cleanliness and coordination with all municipal departments in order to implement plans and programs. One of the most important features of the city of Hidd is the presence of the dry dock (ASRY), which receives oil tankers and giant ships.